10 reasons why you should never dive in Playa del Carmen
1. It’s so hot here! The sea is between 25 and 30 Celsius degrees and the sun is always shining… even underwater. You could easily get an embarrassing wetsuit tan.
2. There are just too many species to choose from, more than 6,000 actually. With 520 types of fish; 128 varieties of starfish; 55 species of soft corals; and 63 species of stony corals you just can’t relax down there.
3. The sea is so crowded… you have to share the water with 29 marine mammal species, and not the small ones. Get used to putting up with Bottlenose dolphins, Humpback whales, Minke whales, Sperm-whales and West Indian Manatees. It’s like they think they own the place!
4. Turtles are always crowding up the place! Playa Del Carmen knows five species of endangered sea turtles, Kemp’s ridley sea turtles, Hawksbill sea turtles, Green sea turtles, Loggerhead sea turtles and Leatherback sea turtles are always getting up in your grill!
5. If you’re as sick of sharks as I am, don’t book that flight! Some 49 shark species are lumbering around… yawn. Silky, Bull, Lemon, Oceanic whitetip, Dusky, Tiger, Thresher, several species of hammerhead, and whale sharks… once you’ve seen one you’ve seen them all, right?
6. Let’s talk about ocean traffic! Whale sharks block out the sun on their annual migrations. They come in large boisterous groups and can reach 12 meters in length… get out the way Whale Shark, I’m swimming here!
7. More fat animals? Manatees can reach up to 12 feet in length and weigh more than 1,500 pounds; not surprising there are only 5,000 in existence, put down the fork!
8. Here comes the neighborhood! Sperm whales have made themselves at home in the Gulf of Mexico! Families of 500 to 1,500 females and young loiter around Playa Del Carmen. If that wasn’t bad enough, when the males stop by it can be more like 3,000.
9. With some of the highest trained instructors showing you the underwater while scuba diving in Playa Del Carmen; you’ll have too much fun and stay longer than planned, you wouldn’t want to mess up your schedule would you?
10. When that relentless sun finally subsides you have to wait out yet another ocean sunset, curse of beaches I suppose. Don’t order a glass of wine while you’re waiting; the Mexican sun takes long enough to go down as it is.
If after all that you still want to visit Playa del Carmen, make the best of a bad situation with one of the world class dive center with scuba instructors from around the world… I suppose that’ll have to do.
Like this story ?
Like Xperience Mexico Real Estate !
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE